Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Birthday of a Legend

Hey everyone! Soon it will be December 5th, my Dad’s birthday! Since we will still be traveling to East Timor during his birthday, we wanted to put this blog up early. So here it is, in all it's glory - my Dad is turning 52!!!


Here is my handsome Dad with my lovely Mom, and some of their
very good friends at a Fazoli’s in Colorado.


And here is my Dad in his favorite place in the world (with Bekah making a guest appearance) – Rocky Mountain National Park, outside the town of Estes Park, Colorado. He’s as happy as all of us teenagers climbing all the big rocks, hiking trails, and seeing the spectacular landscapes. He’s like an official tour guide for newbies in Colorado because he knows it all like the back of his hand.

I tell people that my family has been to Colorado for vacation almost every year since I was born (and that’s not an exaggeration)! Dad and Mom have passed on a love of the outdoors to us kids, and especially of the Colorado mountains. Many of our best memories have been on family vacations there.

So now that you know a little bit more about my Dad, here are some of my favorite things about him:

  1. His generosity – he has definitely taught me hospitality for guests and for most everyone. It’s an example that I hope Brendan and I will be able to imitate.

  1. His fearlessness in conversation – I love fearlessness! And my Dad is fearless in conversation. He is a great story teller with the Irish gift of the gab, and he uses this gift to make people feel at home. But at the same time he isn’t afraid to talk religion or politics with anyone…I think he enjoys it : ) Where I would sometimes shy away from a topic (mostly politics) and hope to lead by example, Dad can jump right in and talk about the bottom line. I think that our relativistic world definitely needs more people like that. If you can respect others, but still treasure the truth, you’re in good shape.

  2. His love of the outdoors – Dad and Mom did a great job getting us kids outside when we were young. On weekends we’d go to reservoirs or lakes to hike or go on bike rides. And for vacation we were hiking in Colorado. It’s something that really rubbed off on me and that I love!

  3. His protectionMy Dad is the kind of father who would sit out on the porch while his daughters go on dates and clean the shot gun. As I grow up a little and look back, I know that my Dad has protected me from many things. I know innocence is something to be prized and that much of my innocence is a result of my Dad's protection at key times in my life.

  4. His challenges to us – We have always been taught to be very hard working, to give nothing less than our absolute best. School was always a big part of that, but there was much more too. It was a comprehensive challenge to us kids to be our very best selves. This included constantly growing in virtue. Challenges push us to excel if we let them, and Dad’s challenge by example and words have given us that opportunity.

So here’s my Dad, dressed up in a tux for the father-daughter dance at Brendan and my wedding. He is one of the best men I know – a good man who works hard and loves God, my Mom, and us kids. Can’t get much better than that : ) Happy birthday Dad! I love you and miss you a lot!!!


Love always,

Rachel and Brendan


P.S. A shout out also goes to my cousin Emily whose birthday (I believe) is also December 5th!

5 comments:

Moondog said...

Rachel,

What a wonderful tribute to your father. This gift from the heart will surely put a lump in his throat.

We enjoyed the photos..thanks for posting them! He cleans up pretty nicely in a tux...I barely recognized him without his hiking boots :)

Safe travels and continued blessings to you and Brendan!

Matt Munoz & family

singingdragon said...

I believe this is where someone says: STUD!!!

Brendan and Rachel said...

I hope Dad sees your comments : ) If not you'll have to tell him in person (especially the stud part - he'll like that). Thanks for the feedback - we love you guys are praying for all of you in Des Moines (and elsewhere)!

singingdragon said...

I like talking to people who are halfway across the world. I'll be sure to tell your dad : )

Bonnie said...

Wonderful blog - I saw it on Standing on My Head. And I just had to say - we had the same wedding dress! Isn't it gorgeous! You looked stunning. :)