Friday, November 21, 2008

Rome Recap - My Favorite Things!

As our time here in Rome is coming to a close, we wanted to review for you some of the fantastic things we’ve seen. One of the best things about coming to Rome is the fountains!

I LOVE FOUNTAINS! Fountains are some of my favorite things – something that always makes me smile. I remember my parents letting us play in fountains sometimes when we were little. Us kids were always in water of some type – at a wading pool in the park, in the backyard with a hose or sprinkler, or in a fountain… It was a great way to grow up! Now somehow that love of watching and playing in water has translated into delightful fountain-watching : )

We have had two months of fountain viewing that have brought me much happiness. Here are some of the pictures. Enjoy!

Me by one of the twin fountains in the St. Peter’s Square!

A big holy water font! It’s kind of like a little fountain : )

Here we are at the fountain next to the Pantheon/Basilica of Mary Queen of the Martyrs. I’m the one in the green shirt with the arms up.

The Fontana de Trevi! This is the gorgeous, HUGE fountain where people come and toss a coin over their shoulder because the legend is that if you do that you will return to Rome. The Italian government helps maintain the fountain and gives the money thrown in the fountain to a charity. This year all the money that people toss into the fountain is being donated to Caritas – the organization that we volunteer with at the soup kitchen every Friday night. This fountain is one of my favorites in all Rome…but the girl next to me was obviously not quite as impressed : )

Here’s a better view of the Fontana de Trevi from the front. Brendan knew that I wanted to come back to this fountain because it is gorgeous and we’d only had two minutes when we passed by during the day. So as part of our five monthsary date (we’d been married for five months on October 24th) we came back here before checking out some churches and eating at a little café.

He was very nice to come back here with me, but I figure it's not so hard on him. Some girls like expensive clothes and jewelry, I like fountains…he gets off easy : )

Fontana de Paulo – another beautiful fountain. It’s tough to see the details in this picture, but you can see in general how grandiose everything is. I’m in the bottom left corner.

Here is a close up of a fountain in the giant park right across the street from our house and the convent. In the distance you can see the creek that leads to a lake filled with little turtles. The park is beautiful and Brendan and I have spent many days exploring the trails.

Here I am by a fountain in a courtyard that is part of the Basilica of San Clemente. We came to this courtyard to relax and think after we had gone down in the catacombs below the church. It was a great experience, even if it was a little creepy.

On one of our dates, Brendan and I went to get gelato at Old Bridge, the best gelato place in Rome! On the way back we walked through Saint Peter’s Square. The place is even more beautiful at night, if that were possible… Here I am by the other of the twin fountains by Bernini in the square.

Speaking of gelato, it makes me have the same look of excitement on my face as fountains. Here Diggy, Sister Pat, and I enjoy our gelato while waiting for the others so we can all walk home.

Even if a fountain is turned off I find it fascinating…

This fountain was in the piazza in front of the Basilica of Saint Clare. The order of Sisters that Saint Clare founded worked closely with the order started by Saint Francis and God used them to transform the area they lived in! This picture was taken on the way to the volunteer conference when we able to visit Assisi, Italy.

Another fountain in Assisi!

One last fountain in Assisi, by a big church where they hold youth rallies. It was one of the most beautiful churches I’ve ever seen and was bustling with prayerful activity. But this fountain was also too beautiful to be missed.

After Assisi we were able to visit Verona, where the foundress of the Canossian Sisters (who we are going to mission with) started her first convent. She has an amazing story, but we will have to tell you more about it when we get back. After we visited some key spots related to Saint Magdalene of Canossa, we were able to wander around the city of Verona and see some really cool fountains.



On one Saturday Brendan and I walked all the way around Rome for six hours. You can imagine how many fountains we saw during that time. It was one of the best days of my life ; )

A fountain outside another beautiful Basilica known for it’s mosaics.

Here I’m trying to help two tritons hold up a giant seashell.

Here’s a fountain in the park across the street from the Coliseum.

Another Roman fountain.

Fountain of a Roman sea-god guy.

One of the four lion fountains in Piazza del Popolo.

Up on a hill we found a little church with a few fountains and a great view of the city!

Not all the beautiful fountains are in Rome – here’s one we found in Cork, Ireland, when we were trying to hunt down some lunch.

Inside a market in Cork. Notice all the funky birds carved in the fountain.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the pictures because we have enjoyed taking them. Fountain pictures have been my specialty during our time in Rome, but Brendan has also been taking special pictures all during the trip and I know you’re going to love them. We’ll try to get them put up before we leave : )

K, we hope all is well at home. Love you all!


Always,

Rachel and Brendan

No comments: