Tuesday, May 5, 2009

God Did It Again!

A short time ago I was ready to come home... in the after effects of the stomach infection I was fatigued and felt the effects both mentally and physically. My motivation was waning from the lack of energy after sickness and from the sadness of missing all the end of the school year activities - Confirmation, graduations, and summer weddings of our friends and family.

I also noticed in myself a growing desire for something new, something exciting - an escape from this simple life, if only for a short time. But what to do? Could Brendan and I go to a movie? No, no movie theaters in Dili. No bowling alleys, no shopping malls, nothing open late.

But as I was walking to school it dawned on me - I bet I'm not the only person who feels this way. The Timorese also search for escapes. There are a few culturally accepted escapes, mostly for men. Almost all Timorese men smoke and many drink localmade palm and coconut wine. Also, in the smaller cities and villages they have daily cockfights. There are also football and basketball for the young men (and the educated women in Dili). Women's escapes seem to be mostly relational - doing things like walking with their children on the way to the market or talking with a neighbor. Their poverty precludes more damaging escapes like drugs, but it also limits their access to good recreational activities. But what they don't have access to in material things they make up for in relationships. Their life is the epitome of simple.

To be fair, many Timorese don't know what they're missing of our more elaborate escapes. From talking with other volunteers there are some countries that are very difficult to work in because the poor know they are poor, they know what the rich countries have, and they know their chances of living that lifestyle are right around zero. This knowledge, understandably, can make a person very bitter. But East Timor is not one of those countries, and I hope that it won't ever become one.

Timorese affectionately call their country Timor Lorosae, which means Sunrise Timor. They think of themselves as the sunrise people. After suffering severe human rights violations for the 25 years of Indonesian rule and having earned their independence by the burning of their homes and the blood of their people, they are beginning again with the fresh start and new hope that comes with the sunrise.

That is one of the qualities that make the Timorese so beautiful and great to work with. They are open and trusting. They love learning. They have big dreams for their children and their new country, and they're willing to work hard to make them happen.

After reflecting for awhile about how the Timorese react to their simple life I felt my need to escape lessen. I really couldn't be more pleased with the work we do and the people who we work with. I have no need to escape when I recognize all the blessings I continually receive.

After concluding all these thoughts, God sent some more blessings as encouragement to renew our motivation. Brendan and I had a surprise 3 day weekend which we used to go to Baucau and have adventures with our fellow volunteers Chris, Sali, and Dagmara. It was a great chance to catch up and encourage each other while doing some cool things. Then I got back to full health, which makes a big difference in motivation level.

And lastly, the next day we worked in the morning and were ready to walk home for lunch when Sister Lucia called us over and said that there were 3 boxes and a letter waiting for us. Oh, we were excited! We barely stopped ourselves from opening them before we got to our house. When we did finally get them open the contents covered the whole table!

The letter contained a card from my family for Easter and a late birthday card for Brendan from his family. One Easter package was from our friends at Crosspointe Church, and the other two were from the Downey clan and had been sent by Aunt Anne and Uncle Joe. Everything was perfect and it was obvious that a lot of thought had gone into it all. The best were the Easter cards and photos and news from home. What a tangible sign of love!!!

And then the last puzzle piece fell into place. That was why we we're here - to be a tangible sign of God's love to the Timorese! They deserve all we have to give and so much more! So as you encourage us with words and signs, we will turn around and encourage them with words and tangible signs to have hope and a strong faith in a God who loves them!

Hoping you experience a tangible sign of God's love today : )


Always, in Christ,

Rachel and Brendan

4 comments:

Will Wilkinson said...

Wow, Rachel, that was a very thoughtful piece of writing right there. I'm glad I caught it. Living where I do, I appreciate the thought of a community that bases all its diversions on relating with people. I think overall it's a better way to live, eh? Hang in there! love, will

Brendan and Rachel said...

Thanks! It's true that people diversions seem so much more fulfilling in the long run. So you've found that true in Korea? Hey, say thanks to your family for Brendan and me. The package from Crosspointe was really nice and they sent us a picture of your family. It's going up on our happy wall (that's slowly being covered by pictures and letters from family). Can't wait to see you guys when we get home. Keep up the good work and God bless!

~Rachel :)

Unknown said...

Rachel and Brendan! I was just catching up on my blog reading here and I just wanted to say that this one is very touching. Really helps me appreciate all of the opportunities I have here:)

John Bishop

Unknown said...

Thanks Rachel!! a big bear hug from Italy!!! Marco and the other vollie!!